Friday, January 27, 2012

FILM NEWS: Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks discuss Sparkle remake


My how time has passed. 15 years ago, Whitney Houston was at the top of the game and starring in The Preacher’s Wife, her third Hollywood movie in fours years. Since then the iconic singer has faced many trials and tribulations surrounding her past drug addictions. Having recently made her musical comeback with the release of her now US certified platinum album I Look To You Houston, alongside former American Idol winner Jordin Sparks, is now set to make her silver screen return in the Salim Akil directed 2012 remake of the film Sparkle.
Speaking recently to People Magazine, Sparks expressed her excitement at Whitney’s return to the screen. ”She was so cool and very motherly toward me,” said the 22-year old Glendale, Arizona native of the star, who does indeed play her mother in the remake. “If I ever looked like I needed something, here she came saying ‘Are you okay?’”
“Part of the fun of making this movie is definitely the costumes and the hairstyles,” says Houston, 48, sharing her own enthusiasm. “The movie is set in 1963, and we had a great wardrobe, hair and makeup person and I loved wearing the outfits.”
Having spent much of her childhood idolising Houston, Sparks felt starring alongside the icon was a fantasy finally realised; ”I sang her songs into a hairbrush when I was little,” says Sparks. “Now she’s acting as my mom and scolding me. It was a dream come true.”
Sparkle is due to hit cinemas in August.
COURTESY OF SOULCULTURE UK

No comments: